This moist, flavorful snack cake is enough for a small family or "just because" with leftovers for a couple of days. Boasting in sweet banana, the cake is paired with a brown sugar cream cheese frosting.
- 180 grams all purpose flour (1½ cups)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 227 grams bananas (about 2 average sized bananas, weighed after being peeled)
- 60 grams sour cream, at room temperature (¼ cup)
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 30 grams vegetable oil (2 Tablespoons)
- ½ teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 113 grams unsalted butter, at room temperature (8 Tablespoons)
- 105 grams light brown sugar (½ cup)
- 75 grams sugar (¼ cup plus 2 Tablespoons)
Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at cold room temperature (softened)
- 85 grams unsalted butter, at room temperature (6 Tablespoons)
- 147 grams light brown sugar (⅔ cup, packed )
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon molasses (optional)
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 300 grams confectioner’s sugar, plus more as needed (2½ cups)
Preheat oven to 350° F. Line an 8 inch x 8 inch baking pan with parchment paper or grease the pan with non-stick spray or butter.
In small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
In a blender, puree the bananas, sour cream, eggs, oil, vinegar and vanilla until smooth.
In the bowl of an electric mixer (or in a bowl with a hand mixer), cream the butter and sugars.
Add ⅓ of the liquid mixture to the butter/sugar mixer, beating until combined. Add ⅓ of the flour mixture and then ⅓ of the liquid mixture before the flour is fully aborbed. Repeat, ending with the flour mixture, mixing just until the flour mixture is fully absorbed. Be careful not to overmix.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake 35-40 minutes. A toothpick should come out clean.
Beat together cream cheese, butter and brown sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes to allow the brown sugar to fully dissolve. Mix in vanilla, molasses (if using), salt, and confectioner’s sugar. Add additional sugar if needed so it is thick and spreadable. Whip another minute or two until it is smooth, light and creamy. Spread or pipe onto cooled cake as desired.
- Instead of vinegar, you can use 1 tsp. lemon juice.
- To make this snack cake last even longer, freeze individually wrapped slices. It will come to room temperature in about a half hour, and no one will know it was ever frozen.
Calories: 361kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 64mg | Sodium: 220mg | Potassium: 126mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 41g | Vitamin A: 562IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 1mg